Friday, February 2, 2018

How to kick the Winter Blues

I don’t know. Maybe the Winter Blues or Cabin Fever or whatever you want to call it has attacked me. Or maybe I have given in to my inner lazy. Or maybe the day job was just that crazy the last four days. Whatever the case, I haven’t done much around home this week. Including blogging mid-week. And though I have a list of ideas of things to blog about, I’m having a hard time getting that together too.

But here it goes. Coz when all else fails, I can fall back on pictures of Kenya.

2006 and my first trip to Africa, we ran a medical clinic for two of the days we were in Maasailand. The girls are working in our makeshift pharmacy.   
 In 2013, my second trip, I got to work at the clinic in Saikeri for two days. I mostly observed the physician assistant seeing patients, but whenever any babies came in for their immunizations, I got to give them. Which was way cool, I thought.
 While visiting the SIDP camp in 2015, we toured their medical clinic, which was started by some volunteers and never completed. Unfortunately, that is the way a lot of things go in Africa.
 And last year, I just got to drive by a few medical facilities.
The Karen Hospital, in an affluent neighborhood, looks fairly respectable.
 Then there are lots of little clinics and so-called hospitals along the side of the road.
I thought I should give you a close-up of what this particular clinic offers.
All these various institutions are on my mind as, on my next trip to Kenya, I would like to work at a clinic or host a medical outreach. I’m actually planning the trip in my head and have talked to one of our hosts in Kenya and she would help me put it together. I’m thinking of a trip for two weeks in the fall.  

I’ve talked to a few people in the medical field who have expressed interest in such a trip, but I need to start getting true commitments. If you or anyone you know would like to join me on this adventure of a lifetime, shoot me a message. No medical experience is required, just a willingness to help out where you can. We’ll be sure to fit in a safari as well. It’s all pretty flexible right now, and is always cheaper than you think.  

Yup, just thinking about Kenya knocks out those winter blues. 

I look forward to hearing from you!

(For more information, click here to go to our website or here to like us on Facebook. Or lastly click here to learn more about our sister organization in Kenya, Marafiki Volunteers.) 

No comments: