Wednesday, May 22, 2019

The Rest of the Story

 Over the last month, I’ve shared the quick, down-and-dirty of our vacation in April to Virginia. I’ve just been throwing random pictures at you, with the minimum of description. I don’t even think I told you the whole Virginia game plan. I was going to give you a complete explanation of some of the places we visited, but maybe I should start with the who and why first.

My mom’s uncle, his wife and their three children lived in southeastern Virginia when I was a kid. Three times over the years, Mom and Dad packed my sister and me up in the truck camper and drove out there for a visit. We’d visited Jamestown, Williamsburg, Monticello, the mountains and the beach on all those trips. Then, when my daughter was a senior in high school, my mom and I took her there for spring break.

After sharing all the pictures and stories of those times with my husband, I most of all wanted to take him to Virginia. Before I could get him there, my niece’s daughter got stationed at the Navy base in nearby Norfolk. I also reconnected with a friend from high school who was living in north-central Virginia.

With all of that going on, how did I think I could get this all done in one week!

These are some of the accommodations we had during that week.

Our room in Mom’s cousin’s guest house for two nights. 
Our hotel room in Williamsburg for the next two nights.
It even had a complete kitchen. The idea was to cut down on our meal expenses by cooking our own food. You can imagine how well that worked.
Hubby got in just a tiny bit of golf.
I probably shouldn’t share this picture. I went down to the laundry one night to wash clothes. Instead of running up and down to our room, I wanted to park myself in the little laundry room and work on my laptop while the clothes washed. But there was no chair. I looked across the hall and two doors down and noticed a door ajar. Beyond which, this mess lay. I ventured inside, found a chair for myself and dragged it in by the washing machine. Probably not my smartest move. I don’t even want to tell you about the dryer eating my coins and having to tromp back up to the room for more money, then back to the front desk for more coins, which the nice young desk clerk gave me due to the dryer’s failure. Not my best night.
And then there was the next morning. As I was getting dressed, I heard a crash in the hallway. I could also hear kids laughing so I didn’t think much of it until I saw water streaming under our door and into our kitchen floor. Apparently, this pan full of water fell out of the ceiling. I know, what? But really, the hotel was an okay place to stay. 
 Our last night in Virginia we drove north to my friend’s. We had such a nice visit with her and her husband. It was good to reminisce about high school and junior high, wonder how we ever survived.
  And how we all turned out pretty darn good

No comments: