Friday, February 21, 2020

Flashback Friday - Rolling Along

 Does anyone remember going to a roller rink as a kid? Or do kids still go roller skating?

When I was in school, we had a few outings to roller skating rinks, mostly to a place called Crystal Rock, about a half hour drive away. Quite a few times, I went there with different friends as well.

I was awkward, shy, and introverted, with very low self-esteem. I never talked to anyone who wasn’t a trusted friend or family member, and I could barely even look at a boy.

One time, I tagged along with my sister and one of her friends when they went roller skating. My sister’s friend’s little brother (let’s call him L.B.) tagged along too. He was in my grade (which had to be seventh or eighth at the time).

All was well, everyone was out roller skating, doing the things the DJ asked. You know – skate in one direction, then the opposite, then just girls skate, then just boys. Then couples. Hmm. Well, of course, I was going to sit that one out. Until L.B. sighed and offered me his hand. I thought, seriously? Am I maybe not totally repulsive to everyone of the opposite sex?

We skated around the rink, hand in hand, one time, until, as we were coming around the far turn, one of the wheels on one of his skates came off. I kid you not. I can still see that wheel careening into the wall.  L.B. immediately let go of my hand and somehow coasted to the wall on one skate. (If it had been me, I would have fallen and died, right there, in the middle of the floor.)

Yup, I think that was it, the last time in my entire life that I roller skated as part of a couple, for one entire lap around the rink. (Though I did finally realize that I'm not as repulsive as I thought.) 

Crystal Rock Roller Skating Rink has been sitting empty for many years, up for sale off and on. I always wanted to go back, to explore, dredge up those memories.
 Then, not quite three weeks ago, it collapsed, no doubt from the years of neglect and the weight of snow. Such a sad ending. But memories will always keep rolling along.  
(And I never would have had these pictures if Hubby hadn't broken his arm a few days later, requiring me to drive him past here on our way to the orthopedic surgeon.)

No comments: