Friday, September 15, 2023

Another Back Update

It’s been 166 days since I blew out my back. As you all know, I’ve had many miserable times during that stretch, but I have had just as my mediocre days. Days when I could at least take a comfortable walk down my road or lay in the sun on my deck. I can’t say the totally pain-free days were greater than a dozen, but they were still there, somewhere throughout the summer.

Yesterday, I had my steroid injection at L-2 to L-3 (if that means anything to any of you). It wasn’t very painful, and my back hasn’t hurt at all since I left the room. Of course, they tell me that is just the effects of the local anesthetic they numbed my back with before putting in the spinal needle, and that within 24 hours, that will wear off, at which time my nerve endings will go, “what in the name of all things bright and beautiful did you do?” Meaning, the pain will most likely return with a vengeance, until those nerves figure it out and settle down in any where from seven to fourteen days.

I know, right? Did I really sign up for that?

The doctor was very nice and had a decent sense of humor, which you know I appreciate. I had never met him and the staff already had me laying on my stomach with my head in the donut pillow, when he walked in and introduced himself. I answered him, “the back of my head is glad to meet you too.”

He did mention my nice tan and I told him that was because all I could do all summer was lay on my deck in the sun. He said he thought I’d been gardening all summer, which made me chortle and reply, “yea, right.”  

Anyway, it went smoothly. And all I can do is see what happens from here. Thank you, everyone, for all the prayers over the last five and a half months. I love you all.

I always try hard not to be frosty towards new people I meet in health care - I've been where they are.
 But I will admit, I was a chicken yesterday. 


No comments: