Sunday, October 31, 2010


“Be delighted with the Lord. Then he will give you all your heart’s desires.”
Psalm 37:4 (The Way Bible)

I can list a lot of desires which I have.

If I had unlimited wealth, I could pay off the bills, fix up the house, quit my job and still have lots left over to give to friends, family, charities, orphans in third-world countries. You name it and I will give it money.

How about my physical body? I could stand to be better looking. I would really appreciate not having all the aches and pains I have. And I so wish that I had a guarantee that my body is not going to give out as I get older, that when I am in my seventies I can still wash my windows, crawl up on my kitchen counter to get the “fancy” dishes off of the top shelf, stand on my feet all day (hopefully while shopping instead of while working).

I long for my family to have all their needs met, that they stay physically, mentally and spiritually healthy. That my kids find success in their careers and in their romantic lives. That my mother never needs to go to a nursing home and that she passes away blissfully in her sleep when she is much older. That my husband never needs to go to a nursing home either and that we pass away together in our sleep when we are in our nineties, after we have reached every goal we have set for ourselves.

And my list could go on and on. But hold it, what desires are those really? Those are things which I want for my body and mind, but what about my heart? What just is the desire of my heart?

A saving relationship with Jesus Christ. Knowing that my Redeemer lives. Living in the faith that I am never alone, that the King is always with me, at my side. Delighting in me as much as I delight in Him.

No comments: