Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Day in my Life. . .


As usual, I had a few various thoughts about what I was going to write about today. As I sat on the computer last night trying to get those thoughts in order, well, I didn’t get my thoughts in order. It had been one of those days.

I had gotten up Monday morning at the usual time, did the usual exercises, took a shower (what they call a military shower because I have made myself crazy not wanting to waste that much water). I ate breakfast while getting caught up on-line, made the bed, did the waste-of-time makeup thing, got dressed and left for work. I like to get to work early on Mondays because there is usually a mess left behind for me from the weekend. I didn’t make it to work early, but not to worry. The mess wasn’t too bad.

All continued as usual – just a normal day – til I went out to the waiting room in the afternoon to call back a patient. All I heard were a few words on the TV. “Boston marathon, two dead, dozens injured”. As I took my patient to the scale, I thought, that must be some Boston Marathon. Had it been beastly hot and runners were dropping from heat stroke? That would figure since the temperatures are still around freezing here.

By the time I was finished rooming my patient and returned to the nurses’ station, a coworker had the news up on her computer. How do these things happen? Why do these things happen?

We hear it on the news all the time - but it happens it foreign countries. It doesn't happen here. Except for 9/11, and a bunch of other attacks all over the country, in our schools and in our malls and on our highways. Some we never even see on the news.

What is the sense of it all? Why can't people get along? Why can't people respect each other? Why does death and destruction happen?

Yes, I know that we are sinful creatures. I know that in the Bible it says “in this world you will have trouble”.

The part that’s hard to remember is the rest of that verse. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

No comments: