Monday, October 6, 2014

From Wisconsin to India

On the shores of Lake Michigan, Rebecca Meyer seeks escape. Guilt-ridden over her little sister’s death, she sets her heart on India, a symbol of peace.

Across the ocean in South India, Sagai Raj leaves his tranquil hill station home and impoverished family to answer a higher calling. Pushing through diverse cultural and religious milieus, he labors toward his goals, while wrong turns and bad choices block Rebecca from hers.

Traveling similar paths and bridged across oceans through a priest, the two desire peace and their divine destiny. But vows and blind obedience at all costs must be weighed…and buried memories, unearthed.

Crooked Lines, a beautifully crafted debut novel, threads the lives of two determined souls from different continents and cultures. Compelling characters struggle with spirituality through despair and deceptions in search of truth.


I could relate to Rebecca, and not just because we are both from Wisconsin. Ever since I read “Joy in the Morning” (I couldn’t find the name of the author) as a kid, I too had thought about India and was fascinated by it. That’s not where I ended up. God decided to send me to Kenya instead, but I have never completely forgotten India.  

But back to Holly’s book. I couldn’t put it down. Rebecca and Sagai, each in their opposite worlds, ran into so many obstacles. I just wanted one of them to at least achieve their dreams, but in the end, God has it covered. We always do realize our dreams, and I can’t say any more than that without ruining the ending for you.

 If you have ever struggled in your relationships with others, if you have ever felt abandoned, or if you have ever wanted to travel to the exotic land of India, this is a must-read. 

No comments: