Sunday, January 6, 2019

Gift - Word of the Year 2019

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17 (New International Version)

It feels like a very long time since I wrote a Sunday inspirational post. Like, it’s been a year, right?

Speaking of the new year, I’ve been picking a Word of the Year for the last few years. I just looked it up, and it’s been an amazing five years. That’s five words. They have been Acceptance, Anticipation, Possibility, Peace, Purpose. I seem to have been leaning towards alliteration.

In addition to the Word, I find a Bible passage which goes along with it. From the verse above, perhaps I have chosen the word Perfect for 2019. Or it could be Above. No, of course not, stop being silly.

First, you may be asking yourself what I am even talking about. I don’t know when or how this first came about, but there has been a recent trend to choose a specific word to be your focus for the year. The word can be motivational, inspirational, calming, humorous (I guess, coz can’t everybody use a good laugh every day). But whatever word you choose, for whatever reason, you carry it around in your head each day, almost like a mantra.

Anyway, you can look it up online if you still don’t get the idea. But back to me.

The word I’ve chosen for 2019, or that has chosen me, is Gift. Not only to remind me that every where I look I see the countless gifts that God has showered upon me, but also so that I try to be a gift to someone else each day. Whether I spend time with a friend in need, buy something seemingly insignificant for a stranger, give away one of my prized possessions so that it can find a new home and a new heart. Whatever I encounter over the next year, let me offer the gifts I have available.


Give me a giving heart this year, Lord. Guide me in sharing my gifts. And as always, thank You, Father, for everything You have given to me. Amen.  
There is a long story behind this picture. I'll try to share it soon. All I'll tell you now is this was one of my sister Pat's birthday parties and I'm sure she got gifts, so it fit the theme. But more so because Pat was the best gift that God gave to that little girl with the squinty face.

I have to add this update. Why did it totally slip my mind that today is the day we celebrate the visit of the Magi to Baby Jesus? The day they offered their gifts to the Christ Child? And here my blog post is about gifts. I have to call it another fail on my part and another wink from God.  

No comments: