Sunday, January 20, 2019

What is a Gift Worth?

   As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”
Luke 21:1-4 (New International Version)
Since I have been blogging this year about the word “gift”, I had to once again share this story.

When I was in Kenya in 2015, I had the honor of meeting the little girl I sponsor through Compassion. I arrived at her home loaded down with gifts for her and her family. Buying them barely made a dent in my bank account.

She and her mother gave me four eggs, a gourd bowl and a crocheted doily. They gave me so much more than I gave them. They gave everything they had. Their gifts were and still are the most precious possessions in my house (except the eggs, they are long gone, thankfully).

Lord, God, help us to remember which gifts are priceless. Help us to remember the most priceless gift you gave to us – eternal life. Amen.

No comments: