Sunday, June 23, 2019

A Tale of Two Campers – Entry 9 in the story of my sister and me

 Most people keep searching for life when it’s really right in front of them. You just have to go out and live it. Just reach out and pull it around you. Wrap yourself in a blanket of stars. Pat Loehmer
Flashback
I can’t remember a time, as a kid, that we weren’t planning a family camping trip. Every June, as soon as school was out, Mom and Dad would pack up the pickup camper, along with my sister Pat, me and the dog, and we would go somewhere. The Black Hills, the Badlands, the Gulf of Mexico, the Blue Ridge Mountains, historic Virginia, or the peaceful Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
When Mom and Dad bought the pickup camper in 1967, the entire continental US seemed to suddenly be accessible. I have only vague memories of many of those earlier trips, and I think that some of those memories were fabricated in my head from the stories the family shared and the pictures I’ve studied.
What I do know is that Pat and I would lay on the bed in the camper above the cab of the truck and watch miles of highway pass before us. Our imaginations knew no limits. When there was nothing of interest outside that picture window, we played with our plastic horses, allowing them to run the imaginary pasture on the bed.
When we arrived at whatever campground where we were spending the night, our imaginations continued to make up adventures. Unless, of course, we were some place so fantastic that our minds could not top it. Lookout Mountain in Tennessee where we were certain we saw seven states. The deafening roar of Niagara Falls. Geysers spewing steam at Yellowstone. And nearly being left behind in Canada. I know why to this day I suffer from wanderlust. I can’t stay in one place for long. 

1997
Shortly after we returned from the trip to Las Vegas in 1997, Pat spied a pop-up camper for sale in someone’s yard. She called me as soon as she got home.
“What do you think about getting a camper, a pop-up trailer? It would be so nice, don’t you think?”
I honestly don’t remember going to look at it; I think I may have said, “Go for it, and let me know what I owe you for my half.”
It didn’t take us long to try it.
Our first trip was to a rustic campground in the Nicolet National Forest just past Eagle River. Luna and White Deer are the names of the two lakes which border the campground, one on each side. The lakes are small, so small that they don’t allow motorboats, which is ideal for us. It meant peace and quiet.
We chose a site along White Deer Lake. This site was also right next to the outhouse, but neither of those were reasons why we picked it. We settled on that site because Pat felt she could best back the camper into it.
Almost right after we got the camper set up, it started to rain. We took cover inside and played cribbage. And said something like, “Ha, ha, ha! Let it rain, let it rain. No more getting wet in a tent. We are high and dry in a trailer. Ha, ha, ha!” We were pretty full of ourselves.
We also had a full schedule of camping trips that year.  


No comments: