Sunday, October 30, 2022

The Beautiful Rift Valley

     After those two flights and that 14-hour layover in Istanbul, we arrived in Kenya at five am Wednesday morning and immediately fell into bed for several hours. That thin, hard mattress felt amazing, and the shower after those few hours of sleep felt amazing as well. I’ll share pictures later of the volunteer house, which acted as home base. Today, though, I’m going to tell you about the next morning, Thursday, when we drove out to our real home in Kenya – the Mara in the Rift Valley.

Here's our first view of the Rift Valley. Yes, on every trip, I take the exact same picture. But it never gets old. Never.

None of the views in the Rift Valley get old for me. Especially, when a few zebras sneak into the scenery.

A Maasai market somewhere along the way.

The wonderful road we take to get to the safari camp is always interesting, but it does get old after the first few hours.

Wishing they would replace the bridge across this riverbed someday. 

But we did see some Egyptian geese just after crossing the river. 

And some more zebras further along.

But in general, these are the sites I could gaze upon all day.


I’m so thankful to be able to experience God’s beauty in faraway places.

Which reminds me. Whenever I travel to a new country, I ask one of the locals to teach me how to say “thank you” in their language. When we were in Istanbul, we asked our Uber driver how to say “thank you” in Turkish. It is “teşekkürler”, which we couldn’t pronounce without making it sound like “testicular”.


No comments: