Friday, March 8, 2024

Another spin of the wheel, or of the merry-go-round


The only amusement ride I've ever liked. 

I’m sorry that I didn’t write a blog on Wednesday, but the Wheel of Misfortune spun a new one on me. This time it wasn’t pain, it was vertigo. Room-spinning, floor-tilting, nauseating vertigo.

I had one ER trip, one doctor’s office visit, and one therapy appointment, in three days. If any of you have ever had this – medical term usually being Benign Positional Vertigo, or BPV – you know it can be debilitating. We’ve all been dizzy or off-balance, but this is like having had too much to drink and then stepping on an amusement park ride, but there’s nothing amusing about it.

The cure is simple – something called the Epley Maneuver. (I know BPV already sounds a little sketchy and then you do some kind of maneuver? Creepy.) (Just kidding.) 

Working in health care, I’ve heard of this before, but silly me, I was under the assumption that this little maneuver would cure the vertigo after one hit. Nothing is ever that easy, right? And certainly not that easy in my life.

So, I do this thing – turn my head and lay down and let the dizziness pass – twice a day and it should get better in a few weeks. It’s all from crystals in our ears getting into the wrong canal and this move makes them shift back to where they belong. I still find it hard to believe that this is actual traditional Western medicine.

Anyway, wish me luck, once again.

No comments: