Sunday, March 10, 2024

Who Is the Holy Spirit?

“If you love me, obey me; and I will ask the Father and he will give you another Comforter, and he will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, the Spirit who leads into all truth. The world at large cannot receive him, for it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you do, for he lives with you now and some day shall be in you. 

"No, I will not abandon you or leave you as orphans in the storm—I will come to you. In just a little while I will be gone from the world, but I will still be present with you. For I will live again—and you will too. When I come back to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. The one who obeys me is the one who loves me; and because he loves me, my Father will love him; and I will too, and I will reveal myself to him.” (John 14:15-21, Living Bible)

Once again, the apostle John packs a lot into just a few verses. So, I’m going to focus on just one thing here – the Comforter. Other versions of the Bible refer to this as the Advocate, Encourager, Helper, or Counselor. But Jesus sets us straight when He says that this is the Holy Spirit.

When we think of God the Father, we can picture a grandfatherly man or another older person with a kind yet strong demeanor. Everyone has pretty much the same picture in their head when they think of God the Son – you know, that painting of Jesus with shoulder-length brown hair, a neatly trimmed beard, eyes looking heavenward, wearing a white tunic. (I’d share that picture here, but I want you to see it in your own mind.)

But what comes to mind when we say God the Holy Spirit. He’s a spirit, right? So maybe He doesn’t have human form and maybe that’s why He’s the hardest element of the triune God for us to understand.

But maybe He should be the easiest. Read what Jesus said about the Holy Spirit – He is with you forever and will never leave you, He lives with you now and later will be in you. And remember, He is also your Comforter, Advocate, Encourager, Helper, and Counselor.

And also, usually portrayed as a dove, and not the goofy bird above.  

No comments: