Friday, May 24, 2024

Last Words

 
My mom would have been 97 years old today. Hard to believe. But she passed away in February of 2017, a few months shy of her 90th birthday.

The doctor had admitted her to the hospital that afternoon because she was declining so much. I helped the nurse tuck her in bed before returning to work at the clinic just down the hall. I’m pretty sure the last words I said to her were something like, “I love you, and I’ll be back when I finish with work.”

I’m pretty sure she answered with something like, “I love you, too. Thank you for everything you do for me.” As if she hadn’t done more for me as my mother.

Two hours later, her doctor – the one I worked for – came out of his office to tell me the hospital had just called him to say my mom had passed away.

Quite the surprise, but I knew she was ready.

A few weeks ago, I watched an old episode of a TV sitcom where the character’s dad had died, and he couldn’t remember what his dad’s last words were to him. His dad’s death was even less expected than my mom’s, so why would he say something loving and meaningful?

My dad had Alzheimer’s, and it was getting more and more challenging to keep him at home. Mom finally admitted him to the nursing home on a Friday morning, and I went to see him that afternoon. He was happily pacing the hall, along with several other residents who didn’t know what they were doing.

When I walked up to him, his face lit up. “You’re someone I should know.”

I answered, “Yes, Dad, it’s me, Chris.”

He smiled, nodded, and then kept walking down the hall.

He ended up in the hospital with pneumonia on that Sunday and passed away on Thursday.

I feel blessed that both my parents had gentle words to say to me just before they left their earthly bodies. If any of your loved ones had less than kindness to share with you before their passing, please don’t sweat it. It’s life. But you might want to remember to say something loving to those you care about whenever you see them.

(The picture is of my mom and my sister Pat at my first wedding in 1985. I always liked this picture - they both look so happy. I can't remember what Pat's last words were.)

No comments: