Sunday, October 6, 2024

I Know What I Believe

“If you think it is wrong to serve the Lord, choose today whom you will serve. Choose the gods your fathers worshiped on the other side of the river, or choose the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living. But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15, New Life Version) 

Buddhism is the state religion of Cambodia. According to various sources, approximately 97% of Cambodia's population follows Theravada Buddhism, with Islam, Christianity, tribal animism, and the Baha’i faith making up the small remainder. From what I witnessed on my trip to Cambodia, I’d change that wording to say “97% of the population claim to be Buddhists”. I really didn’t get the feeling that all those people actually followed Buddhism; I could be way wrong and I don’t want to accuse anyone of lying about their religion so I need to leave it there.

After reading about Buddhism in several books and on the internet, as well as talking to a few people in Cambodia, it seems really complicated.

The easiest part is the five precepts or rules that must be followed. Do not kill. Do not steal. Do not commit acts of sexual immorality. Do not speak badly of anyone. Do not drink to the point of intoxication.

The first four are in line with the Ten Commandments and no one can argue that if everyone kept those laws, the world would be a better place. Avoiding alcohol or other drugs is a good idea too, but just like in America, there seemed to be a definite presence of alcohol consumption, with signs advertising beer and similar beverages everywhere.  

Then after those five rules, Buddhism takes on all kinds of weirdness. Yes, people probably think that parts of Christianity are weird, so, again, I shouldn’t judge. I’m also not going to go into more detail right now.

Just one last comment. Between the 9th and 14th centuries, Hinduism was the dominant religion in Cambodia, and the vast temples built by the country’s kings during those years were dedicated to Hindu gods. It’s thought that many people in Cambodia practice Buddhism along with Hinduism to this day.   

That makes my head spin and reinforces my faith in the triune God and in Jesus Christ as my Savior.

No comments: