Friday, April 23, 2010

Getting Close


At that last meeting with the Bells, Jen told us that the last few weeks before departing a lot of things could go wrong. For past participants, it was as if Satan was working on them to get them to second guess themselves and the mission trip entirely. Why is it that it is easier to talk about the good things God does in your life, than to talk about the bad things that Satan is trying to do?

My cousin, my sister-in-law and my father-in-law were all having medical problems. I was starting to question my decision to take this trip half-way across the world. What if something happened to one of my loved ones while I was gone? I had spent so little time with Nick the past two years, since he had graduated from high school, how fair was it that I was taking off with Val and leaving him home. How fair was it that my husband had hardly done any traveling?

The previous September Val had started going out with a boy she met in drama. He was nice enough; smart, not bad looking, but he had some serious family problems. Unfortunately, those problems followed him into Val’s life and into our home. As the time got closer for us to leave, Val even questioned whether or not she should go, not wanting to leave him behind. Their relationship was starting to waver and instead of just ending it, Val thought she could save it if she just didn’t go to Africa. It didn’t matter to her that he was going to Germany with a group from school for three weeks, coming home the day before we were to depart.

No comments: