Saturday, September 3, 2011

What are my Plans?

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 New International Version

September first, 2008, I made a plan. I got a five subject notebook and gave each of the five sections a subject. I dove into my plan, hoping it was a two-year plan but not quite sure at that point. By last year, I realized that it was a three-year plan and now – I don’t know what to call it. But I will not give up.

I started reading the Bible in earnest three years ago. I’ve seen books and programs for reading the Bible in one year or two years, but I am not much into someone else’s structure. I came up with my own, writing in my notebook what I read every night, passages that really said a lot to me, things that were going on in my life at the time that were relevant to what I was reading.

I think the good Lord made me who I am so that I could read the Bible in my own way in my own time. But three years? Really? I should be able to do better than that.

I came so close. I only have fourteen books left. What should I have done differently? Should I have skimmed through them to finish in three years? Stuck with one version of the Bible, instead of occasionally dragging out the four different versions that I have to compare them, to understand them better? Should I have not taken any nights off, reading when I was too tired to see the words clearly, just so I read every night?

Is God disappointed in my sorry attempt to read all of His Word? Is He disappointed in other things I do? Or don’t do?

Lord God, Heavenly Father, no plan that I could come up with will ever be as good as yours. Your ultimate plan was sending Your Son to be my Savior, to be everyone’s Savior. Help me to remember that as Your child, even when I do disappoint You, You will never stop loving me. And no matter how long it takes me to read the entire Bible, You will be happy with me every time I open it and see Your Word.

No comments: