Sunday, November 24, 2013

Week 2 - Countdown to Christmas

But the angel reassured him, “Don’t fear, Zachariah. Your prayer has been heard. Elizabeth, your wife, will bear a son by you. You are to name him John.”
 Zachariah said to the angel, “Do you expect me to believe this? I’m an old man and my wife is an old woman.”
But the angel said, “I am Gabriel, the sentinel of God, sent especially to bring you this glad news.”  Luke 1:13, 18-19 (The Message Bible)

Zachariah, a descendant of Aaron and Moses, was one of the priests of the temple. He and his wife Elizabeth were quite old and had never had any children. An angel came to him to tell him he and his wife would finally conceive a son. Zachariah certainly wanted to believe this, but then he had a reality check. He opened his mouth and said exactly what was on his mind. “My wife and I are both so old.”

No one is too old, too young, or too anything for God. God is able to use anyone of any age, shape, or form. Throughout the Bible, God used people who didn’t think they were worthy. Remember Moses? He had a speech impediment. Or how about David? He was a young boy when God called him to slay the giant. David would go on to be one of the great men of his time.

God is even able to use us. We may think that we are too old, or that we don’t have enough money, or that we are not smart enough or pretty enough. It doesn’t matter to God what our shortcomings are. In fact, to Him they are not shortcomings at all. He made us the way He wanted us to be, so when the time is right, He can use us for His work.



(Every Sunday from now until Christmas, I will be sharing an excerpt from “The Christmas Story in 40 Days”. A friend of mine gave me a rubber duckie Nativity set to add to my rubber duckie collection. I went a little crazy taking pictures of these ducks, but hopefully, if you find my words boring, at least the pictures over the next six weeks will keep you coming back for more. And if you don’t find my words boring, don’t forget to order your copy of “The Christmas Story in 40 Days” before the forty days is up.)

No comments: