Sunday, June 30, 2019

Love Rode By -- Entry 12 in the story of my sister and me

Pat with my son on her horse Barney, in 1988


Love Rode By
by Pat Loehmer

The trees were caught in nets of mist,
The grass the dew had kissed.
In some small ray of June’s first light
Life sparkled and shone bright.

Alone I walked in fields of hay
And clover sown in May
The birds had sung their melodies
To no one – only me.

Alone I saw him riding there,
Wind ruffled in his hair.
Strong and free, his head thrown back,
His eyes lay on the track.

Worlds away he could not see
That sad and lonely me
That from miles away had watched
And only understanding sought.

Of other things he thought
And knew not that I longed to talk
Of Beauty, of Truth, of Greatness,
Of Life gone by too fast.

Of other things he knew and dreamed
Of riches that from coffers streamed.
Power that would make him king
And give him almost anything.

But what else lies in hearts of men?
What will they do when towers fall, when
Nothing else for them is left
Of a life too quickly spent?

If only he could learn to wait
Before it is too late
To listen to the birds that sing
The soon-to-be memory of Spring.

But ever forward and ride he must
Before his life is turned to dust.
Too soon we shall be dead.

Love rode by,
          And did not turn His head.

My sister Pat wrote the above poem and mailed it to me, I believe, when she was in college. It’s a piece which couldn’t quite compete with the likes of Robert Frost, but it does contain a few poignant passages. Almost prophetic, actually.
When she was in college, she started writing a fantasy novel, “Journey of the Shadow”. The main character was a feisty female called Skatus, which means shadow in the language of her people. Speaking of languages, Pat made up an entire language for her characters, along with a map of their world and a detailed history. She was taken with Tolkien and wanted to create her own land as complete as Middle Earth.
She worked on her novel up until her cancer forced her into the nursing home. As much as she wanted to see it published, she never liked the ending, having written three different versions of it.
In some ways, I think she was a much better writer than I am. My goal is to some day find the way to publish her novel.
In the meantime, all I got is more pictures for you.  
Pat on our cousin's horse Shawn around 1974
My very favorite picture. This was taken along Hwy 107 in 1981.
We were driving down the road and saw this cow alone in her little pasture, and Pat wanted to stop to say "hello".
In our parents' garden around 1973
More sunflowers! Mom with Pat at Pat's house in 1997

No comments: