Friday, May 3, 2024

A Really Weird Analogy

I had already picked out all the pictures for this post, when I just now looked back at whether or not I shared this a year ago. And I did, with all the same pictures. But never mind, you probably don’t remember.

So anyway, I had thought about sharing that event from a year ago, but was like – maybe not. Until I started watching music videos this afternoon. My brain just goes all over the place, doesn’t it?

Watching rock bands perform always fascinates me. The drummer is always so animated and I have no idea how they do it. The main guitar player often is the lead singer too, so all eyes are on him, unless he’s not the lead singer. If the lead singer is not playing an instrument, he or she still interacts with the lead guitar player or even the crowd.

Then there’s the bass guitar player. Do you ever watch him or her play? Most of the time they are in the zone, like they are playing their own song and it just happens to match what the rest of the band is playing. Like they aren’t even on stage with their band and a cheering crowd of strangers singing along.

Have you ever noticed that? Or is it only me? If it’s only me, you will certainly miss the whole analogy I’m about to make.  

One year ago, this past week, on April 30, my daughter’s dog Bleu died from blasto. It was horrible, but as a mom (and grandma to the pup), I was glad that I was able to be there for both of them.


 

The thing is Bleu always seemed to dance to the beat of a different drummer. Or in this analogy, to a different bass player.

My daughter always thought he was on the autism spectrum. Or maybe it was just the husky in him. But he wasn’t like the other dogs. His mind would be somewhere else, his thoughts not like the rest of his pack. He’d stare off in space looking at something no one else could see.




But it dawned on me today, that he was just a bass player. And every good band needs one.

We all still miss our Bleu. He is irreplaceable.

No comments: