Sunday, November 21, 2021

Sufferings

   Save me, O God, for the floodwaters are up to my neck. Deeper and deeper I sink into the mire; I can’t find a foothold. I am in deep water, and the floods overwhelm me. I am exhausted from crying for help; my throat is parched. My eyes are swollen with weeping, waiting for my God to help me. (Psalm 69:1-3, New Living Translation)

I’ve been pretty much free of any COVID symptoms for a week now. I was hoarse and a little congested earlier this week but basically feeling pretty good.

   But I keep praying to you, Lord, hoping this time you will show me favor. In your unfailing love, O God, answer my prayer with your sure salvation. Rescue me from the mud; don’t let me sink any deeper! Save me from those who hate me, and pull me from these deep waters. Don’t let the floods overwhelm me, or the deep waters swallow me, or the pit of death devour me. Answer my prayers, O Lord, for your unfailing love is wonderful. Take care of me, for your mercy is so plentiful. (Psalm 69:13-16, New Living Translation)

I maybe never prayed such a fervent prayer as this one, even when I was at my sickest. But I still prayed, not only for myself, but for my daughter and everyone else who has had to suffer from this illness. Or any other severe illness. Cancer, COPD, Lou Gehrig’s, Alzheimer’s. The list goes on. Yes, we have all suffered with one thing or another. And if not ourselves personally, we have supported our loved ones through their trials.

   I am suffering and in pain. Rescue me, O God, by your saving power. Then I will praise God’s name with singing, and I will honor him with thanksgiving. (Psalm 69:29-30, New Living Translation)

Here’s the funny thing. When I started writing this post, I was thinking more about Thanksgiving coming up this week and wanted to write about that. The Bible verse above is one of the first to come up when I went searching for the word “thanksgiving.” When I read the rest of Psalm 69, I was stunned by how fitting it seems right now. 

   The humble will see their God at work and be glad. Let all who seek God’s help be encouraged. For the Lord hears the cries of the needy; he does not despise his imprisoned people. Praise him, O heaven and earth, the seas and all that move in them. (Psalm 69:22-34, New Living Translation)

Even with all of our trials and all of our sufferings, we still have much to be thankful for. 

 

No comments: