Wednesday, December 21, 2022

LIGHTS

 A year ago this past Monday, my blog post here told about an amazing pre-Christmas gift we received. The linemen for public service showed up at one a.m. to fix the power line that had been down for three days, leaving us without electricity, which meant no lights, no heat and no water. When their trucks pulled into our yard, lights lighting up the entire yard, it must have been what the shepherds witnessed when the angels appeared, declaring Jesus’ birth.

This morning I was thinking about that Christmas miracle, and it brought tears to my eyes.

We take so much for granted – that our houses will be warm in the winter, that water will come out of the tap when we open the valve, that the food will stay cold in the refrigerator.  Even that when we flush the toilet our waste will magically disappear!

But, man, those lights in our yard that night! The lights in the field on the night Jesus was born. And as much as I like heat and water and power in my house, I really like the thought that a tiny Baby came to this earth so that I have received the greatest gift of all – eternal life.

We’re in the home stretch to Christmas now. Remember what it is all about.

I took this picture yesterday afternoon looking in the general direction of where that power line
was down. God is good. 

 

No comments: