Sunday, December 18, 2022

What is in your head? What was in Joseph's?


      As he considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream. “Joseph, son of David,” the angel said, “do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife. For the child within her was conceived by the Holy Spirit. And she will have a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:20-21, New Living Translation)

It's so hard to believe that it’s only one week until Christmas. There’s so much to do yet – cards to get in the mail, presents to buy and to wrap, cookies to bake.

I’ll never understand why we get so consumed with preparations this time of year. Every year, I tell myself that I’m not going to make myself crazy doing all this stuff, and every year, I’m right there, running myself ragged.

We all need to step back to that first Christmas. Joseph, who just found out the woman he was betrothed to was pregnant with a child which wasn’t his. My head spins with all I have to do, but can you imagine what went through Joseph’s head? Yet, the only upcoming task he had to accomplish was getting Mary to Bethlehem so they could be counted in the census. When they left on that trip, I’m sure he never realized the Baby’s birth was so near.

This time of year, I think that’s what we need to focus on – the one and only thing that is truly important. Jesus Christ was born as an innocent Baby so He could grow up to save us from our sins. Everything else at this time of year is just frosting on the cookies or snow on the trees.

     Heavenly Father, bless us this time of year, when we need help remembering what we are really celebrating. And thank You for sending Your Son to us as a tiny Baby. Amen 

No comments: