Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Two Promises We Always Break

I think that there are two statements which every couple has agreed upon, maybe even more than once.

The first one. “We’re not going to let the new dog on the furniture.”

Sounds good, makes sense. I know that I’m tired of vacuuming all the cat hair off of Cheshire’s spot on the couch. Unfortunately, you can’t keep cats from doing whatever they want.

But invariably, the dog jumps on the sofa or your favorite chair. You and your spouse say, “aww,” you cuddle your pet, and the deed is done. The promise broken.

The other thing we always proclaim. “We’re not eating in the new car.”

Yesterday, Hubs and I bought a new, used vehicle. How that purchase came about is kind of crazy, but at least it was entertaining to the salesman. But maybe for another time.

We are driving away from the dealership, haven’t even gone a block, when Hubby pulls out a granola bar that he had lifted from the service department waiting room.

“Are we going to eat in this car?”

“No,” I practically shout, reaching into my purse to retrieve the bar I had pilfered.

“Can you open mine?” he asked, because he was driving and struggling with the wrapper.

“But this is all. We’re not eating anything else in here.” Sure, Chris, you know how that’s going to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! You nailed it! Who do we think we are kidding?!