Sunday, July 23, 2023

The Deer

     Then God said, “Let the earth be filled with animals, each producing more of its own kind. Let there be tame animals and small crawling animals and wild animals, and let each produce more of its kind.” And it happened. (Genesis 1:24, New Century Version)

For several weeks, I’d been seeing a doe coming through my yard nearly daily and it was obvious that she was nursing. I was getting anxious for her to bring out her fawn, hoping that the little one was okay.

Friday, I saw the doe coming out of our woods and could see movement behind her. I ran to grab my camera, and when I got back to the window, she had moved on. But there on the edge of the woods, where she had just been, was not one, but two adorable fawns.

They stood for moment, wondering what this open area was all about, but quickly turned to follow Mama down along our driveway.

Pictures, of course, don’t do them justice. I just hope they grow strong and wise and have long, safe lives. 

But this reminds me that God made these creatures. And He made them when He made the earth and us and everything else that is on it. There was no evolution; humans and whitetail deer didn’t somehow come from some creature that crawled out of the sea and evolved and grew lungs and hair.

Nope, every species of animal, as well as plant, was created by our God, the Creator.

And by the way, there are about 25 verses in the Bible which refer to deer. I know you’ve all heard Psalm 42:1 (come on, you know you’ve heard it, don’t go looking it up), but here’s just one of the other verses.

     He makes me like a deer that does not stumble; he helps me stand on the steep mountains. (2 Samuel 22:34, New Century Version)

No comments: