Monday, October 18, 2010


In June of 1996, Pat was feeling well enough that she decided it was high time we went on another camping trip and that we should take our other sister Judy along.

The first night we stayed at Lake of the Falls just outside of Mercer. It is a cute little county park along the Turtle Flambeau Flowage. For some reason Pat and Judy went up earlier to set up camp, and I followed after work. Pat told me where they were and I thought I understood her directions. But when I got to the county park, which is not very big, I drove around it several times, but couldn’t find them. Luckily we were not so far from civilization that Pat couldn’t call me on the cell phone.

“Hello? Where are you?”

“Where are you? I’ve been driving around the campground and you’re not here.” I stopped the car along the water’s edge and got out.

“Well,” my sarcastic sister replied, “Now I know where you are. Just look straight across the water.”

I looked across the lake and there they both were waving at me. What were they doing there?
There were a couple more camping sites on the other side of the dam, and they had found an absolutely gorgeous spot. We left the vehicles in the parking lot and hauled our stuff maybe fifty yards onto a small peninsula. It was almost like being on an island.

Go to Google maps and type in “Lake of the Falls County Park Mercer WI”. We were on that little appendage off of the county park road, the one practically surrounded by water. Way cool.

No comments: