Sunday, December 23, 2012

What did Mary say? What would you say?


 Then Mary said,

“I praise the Lord with all my heart.
 I am very happy because God is my Savior.
I am not important,
 but he has shown his care for me, his lowly servant.
From now until the end of time,
 people will remember how much God blessed me.
Yes, the Powerful One has done great things for me.
His name is very holy.
He always gives mercy
 to those who worship him.
 He reached out his arm and showed his power.
 He scattered those who are proud and think great things about themselves.
 He brought down rulers from their thrones
 and raised up the humble people.
 He filled the hungry with good things,
 but he sent the rich away with nothing.
 God has helped Israel—the people he chose to serve him.
 He did not forget his promise to give us his mercy.
 He has done what he promised to our ancestors,
 to Abraham and his children forever.”
Luke 1:46-55
Easy-to-Read Version

After the angel Gabriel appeared to Mary and told her that she would be the mother of Jesus, the young woman hurried to see her cousin Elizabeth who also was pregnant. I can picture the two of them sharing their amazing stories and wondering why God had picked them. Mary finally praises God with the song above. I guess God knew what He was doing when He chose Mary. What would you have said to this news?


“Really, God? The masses might stone me for getting pregnant without being married. And you know I really can’t afford this right now. Joseph, my fiancé, just isn’t making that much money building furniture. Can you wait until the economy is better? And you know with Elizabeth getting pregnant in her old age, do you really think I should have a baby so close in age to hers? I really don’t want to take the attention away from her. And you know, God, I am awful young. A baby is just going to ruin my figure forever.”

Yup, we all have excuses, don’t we? Good thing Mary didn’t.  

No comments: