Sunday, March 17, 2013

Separation

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39 New Living Translation

As I go through each week, I am constantly on the lookout for blog material. Earlier this week, when I learned that my husband’s aunt had died, I thought, “ah, ha, a funeral. That should provide me with good material.” (I thought that only after I felt bad for the family and sent up a prayer that God was with them. Honest.)

Saturday morning, as I was sitting in the church, looking around, listening to the eulogy, humming along to the songs, I wasn’t finding anything in particular that I could write about. Then, bless her heart, one of the cousins stood up to share about her aunt and she used the verse above. What a great verse for a funeral, don’t you think?

(I got my little notebook out of my purse right then and wrote down Romans 8:38 so that I wouldn’t forget. And my husband gave me one of those looks.)

There are so many bad things that happen to us as we go through our sinful lives. It’s so easy, when things are going wrong, to ask, “Where is God? Why has He abandoned me? Doesn’t He love me?” But He will never abandon us, He is always there for us, He loves us no matter what. We just need to remember that and seek Him first. He’s there. Always. I promise. And more importantly, He promises.

Thank you, Lord God, for always being there for us, and for sending Your Son to take away our sins. Help us remember to turn to You first in every time of trial. Amen.

 Can the wide expanse of Lake Superior separate us from God? Nooo.
 Can we fly so high in an airplane that we are separated from God?  Nooo.
Can a cage at the zoo separate us from God? Nooo.

2 comments:

Susan Marlene said...

Hi Chris, I LOVE to come and read your blog. Death from suiside took one of my students recently. No matter if someone's passing is unexpected or not it is still shocking for us who are left behind. We are here to get to know our Lord. It will be wonderful to be with Him for eternity! This is a wonderful scripture that you shared! Blessings!!

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

It makes me so sad when young people decide to end their life. It is such a tragedy.

My husband's aunt was in her 70s, had been in the hospital for two weeks, and also had a strong faith and total trust in the Lord. Her son, who is a pastor, did the service.