Sunday, December 18, 2016

Where did your Shepherd Go?

Welcome to this year’s Christmas edition of my Sunday inspirational blogs. For six weeks, starting the first weekend in December, I will be posting an updated issue of the blogs I wrote five years ago. I thought they were kind of cute, so decided they were worth revisiting. All the pictures are of animals either my daughter or I photographed on our trips to Kenya. I hope you enjoy the pictures and the story.

 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.  An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. (Luke 2:8-9 New International Version)

Visitor: Good evening. It’s sure quiet out here.



Sheep 1: Seriously? You should have been ten minutes ago.

Sheep 2: No kidding. It was ridiculous.

Visitor: What happened?

Sheep 1: We were all having a quiet evening, doing some grazing and thinking about laying down to sleep, when all of a sudden, there was this light in the sky.

Sheep 2: And these people were in the sky and they were singing.

Sheep 3: They were angels.

Sheep 2: How do you know what an angel is?

Visitor: It doesn’t matter. Just tell me what happened? This sounds amazing.

Sheep 1: These angels – if that’s what they were – told our shepherds that their Savior was born in Bethlehem and that they should go meet him.

Visitor: Really? What did your shepherds do? 

Sheep 2: They went and left us out here by ourselves.

Sheep 3: I think when angels tell you to do something, you better do it. I think that one of the angels is still up there, watching over us until our shepherds come back.

Sheep 2: Are you nuts? What are you talking about?

Sheep 3: I think there is something magical about tonight.

Visitor:  I do too. Did they say anything else?

Sheep 1: I think one of them said that there is a baby in a manger and his mother is Mary and –

Visitor: What? Did you say Mary? I’ve been looking for a woman named Mary who was going to have a baby.

Sheep 1: Well, you best get going then, I think this is your gal.

Visitor: I just came from Bethlehem, but I guess I will head back there. Thanks for all your help. I hope the remainder of your night is peaceful.

Sheep 2: I do too.

2 comments:

Tom said...

I love the looking at the viewpoint of the sheep! It is different. The Bible does say that all of creation gives God praise. Thanks for posting this.

Carolyn said...

Love your story Chris.