Friday, December 1, 2017

Flashback Friday in the Classroom

Greeting the month of December with some - what can I say – interesting? Scary? Nostalgic? Whatever you want to call them, here’s what class pictures used to look like.

1939, Hay Creek School. My mom is in the second row on the far left. Hay Creek was a tiny one-room school house, with a second life as the town hall for the Wilson township. Somewhere I have a picture of it in later years, before it was torn down for a new town hall, but couldn’t find them this morning. Also of note, when your grandparents say they walked to school, uphill, both ways, it was possibly true. My mom lived on one hill and the Hay Creek School was about a mile away up another hill. 
 1942, Tripoli High School, Mom’s Freshman year. That has to be her in the back row, fourth from the left with that lovely white bow in her hair. When I see some pictures of her, I can tell why she never liked getting her picture taken. 
 1945, Tripoli High School, Mom’s Senior year. She’s in the front row, second from the left. Her yearbook saying was, “She loves life, she lives life.” Never heard her say that, I think that just picked sayings for everyone. 
 1966, Tripoli Grade School. Just so you don’t think I’m picking just on my mom, here’s my kindergarten picture. Ok, who can find me? Also, let me know if you recognize anyone else. I only remember about eight or nine of the other kids. 

5 comments:

Denise said...

Bottom row, 6 from the right. πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Good job, Denise. You got it.

Joyce Repinski said...

Did Hay Creek School get built to move from Wilson Town Hall?

Joyce Repinski said...

Did they build the Hay Creek School to free up the Town Hall? Where was it as opposed to the today's town hall? Love to see the photos of days gone by.

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Joyce, sorry I never answered your question. The Hay Creek School was in the same building as the old Town of Wilson townhall. I have no idea when they stopped having classes there - well before my time. When they built the new townhall, they tore down the old one, which had been on the same lot, just closer to the road. I have pictures of it somewhere; I'll share them when I find them.