Wednesday, December 27, 2017

The Month of Christmas

 The first of December, when I decided to blog three times a week between now and the end of the year about the various symbols we have for Christmas, I made up a list of items which would take me to New Year’s Eve. I even had an excess of thoughts on that list, but here it is, several days past Christmas, and instead of sticking to those things, I’m going to just recap my holiday for you.

 My Christmas season started weeks before the 25th, as I’m sure yours did. A trip to Menard’s on the first of the month, revealed that Santa was already exhausted. 
 I’m not making this stuff up. I went around the corner and found another Santa down. But I did my duty and picked them both back up again.
  I always bake at least five batches of cookies. I don’t know why – tradition, right?  So I broke with tradition and thought I’d try something new. Ended up making the ugliest cookies ever. They taste okay at least.
  Santa made his usual stop at the clinic where I work.
 Two days before Christmas, my cousin hosted her annual party for the extended family. A good time was had by all and I even got a picture with my sister.
 Since my own kids are 27 and 31, it has been a while since I had little ones around on Christmas morning. But I still have always kept up the Santa-façade. I was thrilled then when my daughter told me only a couple days ago that she and her husband would be bringing his nine-year-old son to our house for Christmas Eve and Christmas day. I wasn’t quite as thrilled by his hair style, but – hey – like my hair would win any awards?
 Of course, we also had my ten-year-old, my son’s five-year-old and my daughter’s three-year-old and seven-month old.
 Which was also great, coz every boy needs a dog. Or two.
 And lots of flannel.
 And lots of food. 
 My family hopes you had just as happy a Christmas as we did. And are wishing you an even happier New Year.   

No comments: