Sunday, May 9, 2021

O Bless the Lord, O My Soul

1 O bless the Lord, my soul!

His grace to thee proclaim!

And all that is within me join

To bless his holy name!

2 O bless the Lord, my soul!

His mercies bear in mind!

Forget not all his benefits!

The Lord to thee is kind.

3 He clothes us with his love;

Upholds us with his truth;

He heals all our infirmities

And ransoms us from death.

4 Then bless his holy name,

Whose grace hath made us whole,

Whose loving kindness crowns our days!

O bless the Lord, my soul!

 Since shortly after Easter, I've been writing about the different songs from the musical "Godspell." As with last week’s song, this one is also taken from an Episcopal hymnal. 

And as with last week’s song, “Save the People”, the author of the original lyrics of “Oh Bless the Lord my Soul” was a bit of a rebel. James Montgomery (1771-1854) was arrested and imprisoned not once, but twice, for sedition. Those were times when the world did not appreciate freedom of speech. He was an advocate for humanitarian causes, protesting against slavery, exploitation of child chimney sweeps, and lotteries. He wrote close to 400 hymns during his lifetime.

This song was inspired by Psalm 103.

1 Bless the Lord, O my soul;

    and all that is within me, bless his holy name!

2 Bless the Lord, O my soul,

    and forget not all his benefits,

3 who forgives all your iniquity,

    who heals all your diseases,

4 who redeems your life from the Pit,

    who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,

5 who satisfies you with good as long as you live

    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. (from the Revised Standard Version of the Bible)

Sometimes, when I’m writing this blog, I have no words of my own to add. All that I have, all that I am (isn’t that from a different song?) is a gift from God. And all I can do is praise Him as best as can.

Thank You, oh Lord, for all of Your gifts. I have nothing without You in my life. Amen.   

And so blessed to have shared so many adventures with these two guys. 

Here are the links to find out more and hear versions of the song:

               The old hymn version of “Oh Bless the Lord my Soul”. After hearing this, I think I’ve heard it in my own church –

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vauscta8js

               If you find the title familiar, here is the song with the same title and different lyrics, written by Matt Redman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSxocnIaN0A

The version from the movie “Godspell” –

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZZulHl0X4M

More about the life of James Montgomery –

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Montgomery_(poet)

               And lastly, if you think the lead singer from the Godspell version is wonderfully talented, here is some information on Lynne Thigpen, who died too young at the age of 54.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynne_Thigpen 

No comments: