Sunday, September 5, 2021

Reading, Writing, Listening

    Now go and write down these words. Write them in a book. They will stand until the end of time as a witness that these people are stubborn rebels who refuse to pay attention to the Lord’s instructions. (Isaiah 30:8-9, New Living Translation)

For many years, whenever I run across a Bible verse that I like, one that speaks to me and has special meaning for me, I try to memorize it and commit it to my mind and heart. But, being the miserable sinner which I am, I rarely do that.

I do write those verses down on an index card. Then, every couple of months or so, I rotate which one of those cards is sitting on my desk to read every day. And believe it or not, I still can’t get them memorized!

Every week, Hubby and I watch Dr. David Jeremiah, a Southern Baptist pastor, on TV. The sermon we listened to this week was about writing down, not just verses from the Bible, but entire chapters and entire books from the Bible. He challenged all of us listening to get a blank notebook or journal and write chapter 8 from the book of Romans in it. It is only 39 chapters, so that can’t be so hard.

I found myself a blank journal and started by writing the verse above on the first page.

But when I was talking about those verses on the index cards on my desk? The one facing me right now, as I type this, is:

   And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His Purpose.

Which is verse 28 from the book of Romans, chapter 8.

And that, my friends, is yet another reason why I believe there is a God in Heaven. So, if you think He has never spoken directly to you, I hope you start listening.

No comments: