Sunday, April 5, 2020

but have eternal life.

 

(This year’s Lenten posts revolve around John 3:16 – “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” With COVID19 on everyone’s minds, I find it hard not to veer from that theme and instead offer Biblical inspiration for dealing with the pandemic. But we need to turn our eyes back towards Lent and the upcoming crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. Despite all this chaos, I’m not going to let my Easter be cancelled.)

  Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. (John 12:23-26, New International Version)

Today is Palm Sunday. With the pandemic sweeping across the globe, it certainly doesn’t seem like it; it doesn’t feel like this is the beginning of Holy Week. The verse above was spoken by Jesus at the outset of that first Holy Week. He knew what was going to happen to Him and He was getting Himself as ready for it as He could. He was compelled to continue to teach His disciples and anyone else who would listen.

But getting back to John 3:16 and the meaning of having eternal life.

  “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.” (John 5:24, New International Version)

God doesn’t really expect all that much from us. All we need to do is believe and have faith, and we will know where are going when we pass from this world into the next. No matter how long anyone lives on this earth, it is only a milli-second of time compared to the eternity we get to spend as children of God with all other believers in Heaven. It’s something to celebrate during our current dark times.

LORD, God, Heavenly Father, there are no words to express the joy in the hearts of believers in knowing that Your Son Jesus has paid for all of our sins and that we have no reason to fear. We will be with You some day in paradise. Amen.

No comments: