Sunday, February 14, 2021

Just a Spool of Thread

   “For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. (Matthew 6:8b, New King James Version)

Last weekend I was trying to finish sewing a Christmas present (I know, I’m late by almost two months). I had looked at my thread before I ran to town on Friday and realized I wasn’t going to have quite enough. The store I went in was out of the color blue I needed, and I just didn’t want to run all over town looking for it, so I hoped for the best.

As I was coming down the home stretch, sewing that final seam, I watched the thread spinning away, thinking maybe I would have just enough. When the bobbin ran out. I was like – well, that just figures.

For a couple years, since I’ve really started to embrace sewing, I’ve been buying almost as much thread as fabric. And putting them all in their neat little rows in the two plastic boxes I bought just for that purpose.  

But before I had those boxes, I used a small tackle box for my sewing supplies. It dawned on me that, maybe, just maybe I might have a spool of blue thread in there.

I dug out that old box, and sure enough, along with a few spools of odd-ball specialty threads, sat one spool of bright blue thread.

It seems so dumb, sometimes. I mean, God has got so many other more important things to do. He really does. I should be just a blip on His radar, and the blanket I was sewing for a Christmas present could surely wait another week or two until I could get to Walmart. Yet, there it was, an old spool of thread I had forever, which was the exact color I needed.

Coincidence? That’s what some people would say. Or maybe, with so much craziness going on in this world, I am grasping at another bit of hope in a loving God. Or some would say that.

For me, I am convinced that God put that spool of thread in my old tackle box to remind me that no matter how big or how small my problem, He has got it covered.

And I fell on my knees right then and there last Sunday and prayed something like:

Lord, Father in heaven, You are there for me always and forever. I may feel surrounded by sadness and confusion, I feel like so much is weighing me down. But You have got it all taken care of. If You can give me a simple spool of thread, You can – and You do – answer all of my prayers. Thank You so much for letting me be Your child. Amen.  


No comments: