Sunday, April 18, 2021

Thanking God for all the Good Gifts

  We thank you, then, Creator,

for all things bright and good,

the seed-time, and the harvest,

our life, our health, our food.

Accept the gifts we offer

for all your love imparts,

and what you most would welcome:

our humble, thankful hearts.

All good gifts around us are sent from heav’n above.

We thank you, God, we thank you, God, for all your love.

(From “We plough the fields, and scatter”; Author: Matthias Claudius (1782); Translator: Jane M. Campbell)

 Over Easter weekend, Hubby and I watched one of my favorite movies, “Godspell”. I still have the songs running through my head, so when I decided to write today about being thankful, this song came to mind.

In the movie, the song’s title is “All Good Gifts,” but it is taken from the German hymn, "Wir pflügen und wir streuen" which translates to we plow and we sow. I’ve only included the third stanza and the refrain here, but you can sure look up the full lyrics.

Anyway, it’s getting close to planting time, followed by the tiny shoots of new life pushing out of the ground. There is so much to be thankful for this time of year. If only that we made it through another winter!

With each passing day, we are also getting closer to the end of this pandemic and a return to normalcy. Without my faith in a loving Father in heaven, I am pretty sure that I would not mentally and emotionally have gotten through the past fourteen months.

I’ve got a new (used!) camper in the yard, waiting to take us on new adventures. I’m surrounded by a loving family and caring friends. I have a stable job, a beautiful home, and so many more things that I cannot list them all.

Thank You, Lord, thank You for it all, and mostly thank You for Your Love. Amen



No comments: