Wednesday, April 28, 2021

After we ditched the boy at the hospital . . .

Today, my son goes back to his orthopedic surgeon for a recheck on his broken leg and torn-up ligaments. My apologies to him for not posting any updates, but there hasn’t been much to say (and truthfully, he hates that I’m writing about it all).

To refresh your memory, he broke his left fibula and pulled some ligaments off his ankle bone back on March 6. He had surgery to repair all of that on March 16 and returned to his surgeon on March 31 to have the cast and stitches removed.  

I can’t believe that whole odyssey began seven and a half weeks ago! The poor kid! Because he lives in a small town not too far outside of Milwaukee, I have only seen him twice in that time – after he broke it and when he went in for surgery.

Which is the actual reason for this blog post. Pictures!

While he was in surgery at Froedtert’s in Milwaukee, his sister and I went out for breakfast at Café Hollander in Wauwautosa and then took in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, after an unseasonably warm month, it was freezing cold out that day, with a fresh layer of snow.

Being from the Northwoods, though, we toughed it out. After all we couldn’t just drive around in my warm car the whole time, as we had my son’s dog with us. A long story and I won’t share it here coz you will think my kids and I are totally nuts.

So, here’s the area around the café, at the corner of W State Street and Harwood Avenue, along the Menomonee River. 

I love the little plastic huts. Yes, they are heated. 

And the ridiculously gorgeous neighborhood of Washington Highlands Historic District. Which has its own Wikipedia page.

Below is the only house I was able to identify. Which according to Wikipedia is: The Wittenberg house at 6614 Hillcrest Drive is a Spanish Colonial Revival-styled house designed by Hugo Haeuser and built in 1927. It has dramatic asymmetry, interesting bays, a red tile roof, and some stylings like the parapet borrowed from Islamic architecture.


Not sure what’s going on with this house, hopefully just some remodeling.

And now, I’ve spent a half an hour on Google Maps trying to figure out where this was at. I’m pretty sure it was next to Neumann Family Field, which is next to Rabbe Stadium. Just out driving around trying to find someplace to walk the dog. (Did you find him in one of the pictures above? Not the one below.) 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope all is well with your son. I have think I found his dog, he’s black right?