Friday, October 1, 2021

Bats on a Hill – Blog Post #12 Camping in Michigan

   First, I need to share a tidbit more of information I discovered about the building at 220 East Ludington Street in Iron Mountain, Michigan. On Wednesday, I told you that this old church now housed Lydia’s Clothing.

But according to this somewhat worn sign, I found out last night, that Morgan Stanley Investments was also in the building. And better yet, that it was once the Immanuel Baptist Church, built in 1908.

Here’s a detailed description from a real estate listing I found on the place from 2016. A beautiful building to locate your business or church in this completely remodeled 1908 treasure. Was remodeled to house a Morgan Stanley office and local law firm. Complete with original ornate, very valuable stained glass windows protected by thermal panes, vaulted ceilings, beautiful arches, and original woodwork. Newly remodeled offices are partitioned with glass with exposed ceilings. Lower level remodeled as office space and currently rented as a law office. The main level was last rented as a financial center. Notice the newer metal copper tone roof.

You’re probably not as excited about any of that as I am. Sometimes, I think my true calling was research assistant. You also might not be excited about the next place we visited that day.

When I stumbled upon Millie Mine Bat Hill on a Michigan map, I knew I had to go find it.

This is the opening to the mine shaft which had been used many years ago, but now is home to one of the largest hibernating/breeding bat colonies in North America. It’s estimated that up to one million bats winter down that hole. That cage is to keep people out and let the bats come and go as they please.

I wish I would have discovered a public restroom near that hill, but instead, we only found the start of one.

So, on up the hill we hiked. Couldn’t bike though.


Which could be fun. If you aren’t a klutz like I am.


The views were amazing from the top. Too bad it was so cloudy out though. 

For more information:

            On the Millie Mine Bat Cave –  https://www.michigan.org/property/millie-mine-bat-cave

            How this site was saved – https://www.batcon.org/article/a-new-beginning-for-an-old-mine/

            The bike trail - https://www.dtntrails.org/milliehill (If you click on this link, be sure to watch the video)

            More on the bike trail – https://www.ironmountaindailynews.com/news/local-news/2020/05/more-bike-trails-coming-to-millie-hill/


No comments: