Friday, June 10, 2022

Ever Been to a World's Fair?

   I can’t remember when I last blogged about all the travels I’d taken in the last year. I wrote for a whole month, I think, about the week I spent in Wisconsin Dells in October. Then I revisited some of those sites the first weekend in May, when we went camping. I have thrown out the window any attempts at writing chronologically about my travels.

Yet, I’m going to persevere in boring you with new travels.    

I hate posting pictures of snow when it is so nice outside. Finally!!! But, oh well, it can’t be helped.

Back in February, I took a quick weekend trip back to Wabasha, Minnesota, to visit my friend who lives there. I’ve written about Wabasha enough in the past, so instead here is one stop I made on the way there.

The farming town of Neillsville is known for being the home of Chatty Belle, the world’s largest talking cow. When I pulled into the parking lot where she resides (and does not talk, by the way), I was so taken by the building next door, that I didn’t even get a picture of her.

She had been on display at the 1964 World’s Fair in New York, along with this building.

The 1964 World's Fair Wisconsin Pavilion building is currently home to Central Wisconsin Broadcasting radio studios on the upper floor.

A cheese and gift shop on the main floor (where, yes, I bought some cheese and some other snacks too).

On the lower level was a display of World’s Fair memorabilia. I remember when the World’s Fair was a big deal, but no one hears about it much anymore, even before the pandemic struck. Just part of our changing times, I suppose.

Looking over this picture just now, after nearly four months, I wondered at first why I hadn’t centered this antenna. Then I looked closer and it came back to me.

Yes, that is a plane going by.


 For more information:

    On Chatty Belle – https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2444

    On the Pavilion – https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/wisconsin-pavilion-worlds-fair-1964

    On the 1964 World’s Fair – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_New_York_World%27s_Fair

No comments: