Sunday, July 10, 2022

The Seventh Commandment

     “Thou shalt not steal.” (Exodus 20:15, King James Version)

One Wednesday afternoon, when I was in Middle School, I was walking to confirmation class with two other girls. They weren’t friends, but since none of my friends went to my church, I hung out with these two once a week.

A block away from church, we stopped at Hanke’s grocery store and loitered around the Brach’s candy display. Remember those? Where you could pick out your favorite, wrapped candies (butterscotch and root beer barrels and the like). You’d scoop them into a paper bag and take them to the check out to be weighed and paid for.

Except for that day. We walked out of the store after a few minutes and the other two girls opened their hands to show me their score of shoplifted candy. I showed them the lone root beer barrel in my hand.

They were like – wow, the goody-two shoe stole a piece of candy. They didn’t seem to think I had it in me.

It was one piece of candy. But, holy cow, I was on my way to church to confirmation class to learn about God’s Ten Commandments!

What else have I stolen over the years? What have you stolen?

Office supplies from work? Maybe just a couple of pieces of colored paper for one of your kids’ school projects. Or a stapler, because your employer had extra and you needed one.

Or say your neighbor has an orchard. He’s never told you to go ahead and help yourself to his apples. But you say to yourself that some of the branches are hanging practically over your property line, so they really are yours anyway. Right?

Okay, so we know what stealing is, but shouldn’t it be all right in certain instances? Umm, no.

Why? Because it’s another example of not putting others before ourselves. No matter how much money, or candy, or paper, or apples someone else has, those are their things and not yours. Instead of helping yourself to those things, you should be offering your own possessions to those in need.

     Anyone who steals must stop it! He must work with his hands so he will have what he needs and can give to those who need help. (Ephesians 4:28, New Life Version)

Has anyone been doing their weekly assignments on keeping the commandments? I’d love to hear some of your answers, but instead, I’m going to move forward. The things you do are between you and God.

This week, you can probably – hopefully – keep from stealing from anyone. Instead, do the second part of the verse above. Give something to someone in need. No matter how small, or great, give from your heart. 

I couldn't find a picture of what the original Hanke's grocery store used to look like, but this was the IGA grocery store when I was a kid. It was Dollar General when I took this picture eight years ago and now it is the local thrift store. And where is the Dollar General? In the old Hanke's building, of course.  

No comments: