Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Getting High in Wisconsin

When I was a kid, I remember being told that Rib Mountain in Wausau was the tallest point in Wisconsin. And look I even found proof of that.


 Actually, currently, the highest spot on Rib Mountain is 1,924 feet above sea level. But since this sign was installed, two other peaks have measured higher. Sugarbush Hill in Forest County at 1,939 feet and, at number one, Timm’s Hill at 1,951. Interesting that of the top ten tallest spots in Wisconsin, six are named hills and only two have mountain in their names.

But I really wanted to stick to Rib Mountain in this post. 

Five weeks ago, when the leaves were still on the trees, the sun was shining, and it was warm enough to wear shorts, my sister, niece and I took a drive to the top of the Rib Mountain State Park.

We didn’t climb to the top of the tower, and we didn’t hike any of the many trails throughout the state park.

But we had some laughs and made some memories.

Now, the mountain is waiting for the winter sports season to begin.

No comments: