Friday, August 21, 2026

For the Birds - Game Drive #3 – Kenya 2026, blog post #7

If you read to the end of Wednesday’s post, you may remember that I promised to share bird pictures today. I hope you aren’t disappointed. We saw sooo many different birds, but sadly, I don’t know the names of many of them. 

Several of my travel partners were big bird watchers, so as we saw our feathered friends, they were usually able to figure out what their names were. I am sure one of those friends will chime in if I got one of these names wrong.  

Egyptian Geese 
 

One Pelican
Many pelicans. 

Certainly some sort of Guineafowl, probably the helmeted one. 

African Fish Eagle 

Two African Spoonbill. Not sure who their little friend is between them is. 

Squacco Heron

African Sacred Ibis

Pied Kingfisher

Goliath Heron

Hamerkop, which translates to Hammer Head, which makes sense.

Superb Starling

Marabou Stork, seen at our safari camp next to the Mara. They are considered one of the five ugliest animals in Africa. Do you remember the others that I already shared on my blog? 

This Marabou was at the Masa Mara Game Park and here he is showing off just how ugly he can be. 

The Lilac-breasted Roller, Kenya's national bird. This is also the only picture which I borrowed from a friend. I took the exact same picture of this little guy, but I cannot find it among my 1,200 pictures! Thanks, Denise

No comments: