Sunday, November 13, 2011

Only Winners, no losers

Endure suffering along with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. Soldiers don’t get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them. And athletes cannot win the prize unless they follow the rules. And hardworking farmers should be the first to enjoy the fruit of their labor.Think about what I am saying. The Lord will help you understand all these things.2 Timothy 2:3-7 New Living Translation (NLT)


Someone e-mailed this to me on Friday, for Veteran's Day, no doubt. Of course, I saw way past the veteran thing, as important as that may be.

Last weekend our high school's girls' volleyball team played at state. They took second place, and when I asked someone about it, I was told they lost at state. Really? Because I think that if your team is good enough to make it to the state championship, they are far from losers. They didn't win the last game, that's all, they are still champions. They played by the rules and won the prize. Why do we as a society think that winning only means coming in first?

Since the Bible passage also talks about farmers, today's picture is of the farm at Najile in Kenya. Today's word count for my memoir from that trip is 545. Close to my daily goal, but still behind overall.

No comments: