Sunday, February 19, 2012

Beauty in the strangest places

One snowy day a month or two ago, I looked out one of the bedroom windows and this is what I saw. Beautiful, I said to myself. Who would have thought that the lid to the septic tank could be so attractive covered in fresh snow?

I look around at all the things we have in the world, all of the things that God has given us. Many of them are necessary, our food and drink, our clothing and shelter. There are lots of other things which are convenient, which make our lives easier, such as electricity.

But sometimes, I look around me and just think that God put these things here for the beauty of them. Pink and purple flowers. Fireflies. The vibrant oranges and reds of autumn leaves. Oh, sure you can tell me all about the chemical reactions that cause all of that, but it doesn't have to be that way. God could have just as easily colored our world in drab brown. He could have given all of our birds the same tune, He didn’t have to give fresh home-baked bread that amazing aroma. We could meet our nutritional needs without ever having to taste our food.

God wants us to take pleasure in the simple things in life. He wants us to sit back sometimes and just enjoy the artistry of the cover to the septic sytstem.

They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty— and I will meditate on your wonderful works. Psalm 145:5 New International Version

No comments: