Sunday, February 17, 2013

So, what can we do?


All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I had been eager to do all along. Galatians 2:10 New International Version

When I signed up for that fateful mission trip to Kenya in 2006, this verse popped up somewhere along the line. It surely stuck with me, even as I wondered at times if I was really helping the poor at all. Was I even helping my team mates? Or myself?

I witnessed so much sorrow, so much poverty in Africa. It seemed so overwhelming and what we did seemed like so little. Yet sometimes that’s what counts. A hand held. A smile shared. Just to know that someone cares.

Sometimes the only thing we can do for those living in poverty is to remember them. To pray for them. To ask that God’s will be done in their lives.  
Kari and her Compassion child at the Compassion center in Nairobi. 
 Jen and her Compassion child planting an avocado tree to commemorate our visit, at the Compassion center at Ewuaso Kdong.
 Michelle's Compassion child inside his home.
Michelle receives a gift from her Compassion child's father. 

No comments: