Sunday, January 19, 2014

Focus - the word of the day

We have all these great people around us as examples. Their lives tell us what faith means. So we, too, should run the race that is before us and never quit. We should remove from our lives anything that would slow us down and the sin that so often makes us fall. Hebrews 12:1 Easy-to-Read Version

Have you seen the movie “Up”? It is a great cartoon with a wonderful story. The dogs who are in it apparently suffer from Attention Deficient Disorder. They can be totally focused on their mission one moment, but as soon as someone shouts “squirrel” they look around in every direction trying to find the little critter.

I tend to do the same thing. I can go from one room in my house to the next, intend on finishing a single task. But then I decide to wash the dishes. I go into the living room to seek out stray bowls or glasses, and instead the computer draws me in and I just have to check my email. There is an email from a friend recommending a book she recently finished, so I venture back to the other end of the house because I believe that book is in my office. The book is not there, but one of the dog’s toys is. I pick it up planning to return it to the dog toy box, but the dog spies me. His tail wags and his eyes plead, so I have to go outside to play with him. And it continues from there.

You know what I am talking about. Everywhere you look there is another “squirrel” to distract you.

Today’s word is Focus. Stop picking up on those “squirrels” in your peripheral vision. Look straight ahead. Run the race set out before you, never quit and don’t let those distractions run you off course.


Dear Heavenly Father, today help me to focus on the tasks at hand. Help me to finish what I start. Lead me away from all those things which distract me. Let me finish my day with a list of goals completed and with time left to spend with You. Amen
But how can you not get distracted by those faces? 

1 comment:

Denise said...

I stayed focused for 3 hours & finally booked my RV site for our 1st & last night in NZ. Information overload is an understatement. Your puppies & kitties are more important than the other stuff.