Friday, December 11, 2015

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Wow. Hard to believe I wrote this post a year ago on December 5. On that date this year, a week ago, we had barely an inch of snow on the ground. Today, with temperatures well into the 30s all week, that small amount of snow is gone. And the forecast is not looking good for a white Christmas. 

I know that it has been a long time since I walked the streets of my town and shared about it here. I admitted a while back that I am just not as fond of winter as I used to be. And if I am outside, I will be wearing mittens, which are not conducive to photography. Yet here I am. One last time this year. (No guarantees what the new year will bring.)

A week ago Saturday night was the yearly Christmas parade downtown Tomahawk. The parade covers an entire two blocks. I know, how crazy-huge is that! And there were probably more people in the parade than were watching it. Sometimes I wish I were living in the 60s again where these home-town things were cool (and not just in the physical sense).

Anyway, so here is the line-up getting ready.

The horse-drawn sleigh bringing Santa to town.

Lastly, there is a Christmas tree Winter Wonderland in the empty lot behind the Rodeo Saloon. Any group or organization can sign up for a tree and decorate it, then the trees are donated to needy families or other charitable causes.

The hubby had made an appointment for my car at eight this Friday morning. The forecast was to be somewhat reasonable, so I thought I would use that time to take in the wintery sights of downtown. Here is that tree lot with most of the trees gone.

For the outdoor winter enthusiast, I would say that miniature golf is out.

I don’t think there will be any horse-shoe throwing at the American Legion either.

Luckily, though, the city crew is always out getting the snow off of our streets.

The dreary-looking morning didn’t clear up before my car was finished and I was able to head home.
 

If you don’t hear from me before the 25th, have a Merry Christmas. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice year ending finish! I enjoyed walking with you!