Friday, January 6, 2017

Before a ramble turns into a rant

First official non-Christmas blog of the new year. And what do I have to show for it? What wonderful things do I have to say? What words of wisdom should I share this first week of the new year which will make the following 51 weeks good? What can I write that will change the world?

You may have read my story before. How, when I was in middle-school, I got it into my head that I wanted to change the world. I wanted to end hunger in third world countries. I wanted to be the catalyst to cause warring factions to put down their weapons. I wanted to blanket the earth with peace and prosperity. I wanted to win the Pulitzer prize. And I didn’t want anyone to know it was me. I didn’t want the fame or fortune or my name to become a household word. I just wanted the world to be a better place, I wanted people to be happy.

And if I thought I saw sadness back in the early seventies, look how far we have digressed. We aren’t just fighting wars across the world with people we don't understand. We are fighting wars against the people we deal with on a personal level every day, who live down the street or next door. New diseases continue to pop up and ravage our bodies. There are as many homeless people as ever. Children worldwide are going to bed hungry with no fresh water to drink, no clean toilet to use and no Mom or Dad to tuck them in at night.

I believe that we have the ability to eliminate pollution and reverse the effects of global warming and cure cancer. We can supply enough healthy food and safe water to the world. Yet none of those things are happening. Those things are all getting worse. And why is that? Why is our world spinning out of control and hate is spreading like wildfire and everything is going down the tubes?

I don’t want to turn this ramble into a rant. I think that almost everyone realizes what the problem is and everybody is like “oh, yes, I’m sick and tired of the way things are too. I want the world to be a better place. We can’t go on like this for much longer.”

So what has got to give? And what are you going to do about it? 

I guess I wasn't done with Christmas after all.

No comments: