Tuesday, January 31, 2017

When the Analogy Just Pops Up

-Sigh-

Over the weekend, I wanted to write a manifesto and share my views on the world situation, particularly the current state of affairs here in the U.S. I don’t get politics. I try to understand it but I have a misfiring synapse in my brain. Oh, I know what it is, I’m basically a good person and I have common sense. I don’t think we see that combination in Washington anymore.  Or in the media.

But I wasn’t going to go there today. I was going to go back to Africa instead.

I think with all the craziness in the world, now is the time to travel to another country and make a difference, bring change. I know it doesn’t make sense. But Life is just too short to sit around and worry and wonder. Am I going to be okay?

A lot of people do question my sanity. Why would you risk your life to travel to Africa now?

Why wouldn’t I? And am I really risking my life? Or anything?

Are there really people out there who took a chance and whatever the outcome, said, I shouldn’t have done that? Coz I think there are way more people who said, I should have taken the risk and done that thing I was afraid to do but which was pressing on my heart.

If you know me personally or have been following me on social media, you may realize that I have been under a lot of stress lately. Last night, I had a dream about a tornado coming down the street at me, which should say something about my mental status. What probably says even more is that, in this dream, I ran back into the house to get my camera.

I guess that’s why I go back to Africa. No matter what tornado – or trial  or task - is on the horizon, I’m going to turn my back on it just long enough to grab my camera – or my guts or my faith. When I’m ready, I’m going back out in the street and meet it head-on.

Huh. I really didn’t see that analogy coming. I thought it was just a crazy dream about my stress. Oh, and in the dream, by the time I got back outside with my camera, the tornado was turning away. 

There is still time to donate to our volunteer trip in April. We need $6,500 to complete the rabbit project, $1,200 to cover expenses of our team leader and another few hundred to purchase all the fun merchandise we bring back to sell for fund-raising. You can mail a check made out to Tumaini Volunteers, Inc. to PO Box 726, Wausau, WI  54402, or donate directly to our website here. We are currently only about $1,000 short, so every little bit will help. 

No comments: