Wednesday, April 4, 2018

MO Vacation Log - Day 1

My apologies to those who have been reading my Wednesday blogs about how to make the most of your visit to the doctor’s office. I thought that if I was going to post pictures and stories of my trip to Missouri last month, that I really should get that over with. I promise to give you another thrilling episode of “Coming to the Clinic” as soon as I can.

So, as you may or may not remember, the second week of March, Hubby and I were joined by our three kids (ok, son, daughter and son-in-law) at a resort in the Lake of the Ozarks. It was the first time we had all taken a family vacation together, with my two kids as adults. We had a good time, but I’m glad we had the chance to figure out our limitations on shorter, cheaper trip.  

Our first full day there, we woke to cloudy, cool weather. Actually, looking out the window as I write this and all I see is snow, that 40-degree morning with grass beginning to green seemed like we were in the tropics. We got a late start (late for me and Hubby at least, coz we are ready to walk out the door by eight am, vacation or not) and drove to Ha Ha Tonka State Park, in our two separate vehicles. 
 From the Missouri State Park website: Ha Ha Tonka State Park with its intriguing history and outstanding geologic features, should not be missed. The park is a geologic wonderland with sinkholes, caves, a huge natural bridge, sheer bluffs and Missouri’s 12th largest spring. The ruins of a turn-of-the-century stone castle overlook these wonders and offer impressive views of the Lake of the Ozarks and Ha Ha Tonka Spring. A series of trails and boardwalks makes it easy for visitors to experience all the park has to offer from its historic castle and geologic wonders to its wooded areas and open rocky glades. Picnic sites beckon visitors for a relaxing lunch in a scenic setting unparalleled in the lake area. All these fascinating features combine to create a park that can be explored and enjoyed time after time.

 I could go into great deal about these ruins, but you can look it up on line just as easily.


 I experimented with some computer enhancements on some of these pictures.


 Ruins of the carriage house.
The old watertower. 
 The old post office,the only building left standing from the town of Ha Ha Tonka.
 The Natural Bridge.
 The lake looking towards Tonka Springs, the castle ruins atop the bluff.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing. Nice shot of the Turkey Vulture.